Friday, September 21, 2012

"WHY College?"



"Why College" is a question that reminds me of my purpose for being here at JSU. That brings me to the question "Why Not College?" College is supposed to be a place and a chapter in your life where you explore new atmospheres, meet and network with new people, and study in the field of your choice. I am an Elementary Education/ Collaborative Teaching major. People often say that I am following in the footsteps of my dad, granddad, cousin, grandmother, and godmother. My dad is principal at Smith Middle School in Birmingham, Al and my granddad was a driver's education instructor and assistant principal at Jackson-Olin High School in Birmingham as well. My cousin has been teaching elementary education for about four years now. My grandmother has taught all grade levels and was principal at a high school in Mobile, Al. My god-mother teaches juniors and seniors at a high school in Mobile also. So, I guess it could be said that 'it's a family thing'! I am very passionate about working with kids and it is and has been my aspiration to pursue that field. Not only will I change lives but it has benefits as well. Some benefits would be free summers and holidays. I am aware that a child's elementary years are the most valuable moments of their lives. Children deserve to be educated and motivated in the same setting and that's my goal. I worked at a summer camp for the past three years with 3rd and 5th graders. That experience made my decision even more easier to come upon. I not only want to achieve my life-long aspiration but I strive to make my family proud and make a positive difference in my community through educating kids who will one day be the future of our world. :)

1 comment:

  1. You will most definately be a great teacher. And yes, elementary education years are the most important years of a child's life and I know you are capable of teaching them what they will need for the future! Best wishes to you in the future! I see great things ahead for you! :)

    ReplyDelete